Income inequality is not new to India, but the COVID-19 crisis has exacerbated the problem. While the wealthy enjoy their advantages, the middle and lower classes are at risk of losing their jobs and lives.
Listed below are a few recent examples.
1. As India fought the huge second wave of coronavirus, India’s super rich spent thousands of dollars and travelled to the UK and Dubai on private jets.
Due to the fear of lockout, migrant workers rushed to bus depots and train stations in search of a way out of the major cities.
2. Celebrities with mild symptoms or no symptoms were admitted to major private hospitals in Mumbai and stayed in beds for longer periods of time.
Other Covid patients had difficulty finding oxygen beds.
3. The accommodation and quarantine facilities for IPL players cost crores of rupees.
While the poor and middle class are denied treatment in hospitals.
4. Despite the pandemic, the number of billionaires in India increased to 140 this year, up from 102 last year.
Whereas the number of salaried workers in India fell by 9.8 million.
5. On the black market, a single vial of Remdesivir can cost as much as 30,000 rupees.
And the poor dying as a result of a lack of access to a life-saving medicine.
6. Kangana Ranaut, a Bollywood actress, advises those fighting COVID-19 and surviving on one cylinder of oxygen to plant trees.
Hospitals across India are running out of medical oxygen.
7. In the midst of a huge increase in incidents, Bollywood celebrities vacationed in the Maldives.
As indian states enforced limits on people’s movement.
8. Pooja Bedi, a wealthy woman who took a private boat trip in Goa, urged people to ‘free their minds.’
While the poor begged for their right to live.
9. Despite being disqualified at the time, a wealthy minister’s 22-year-old relative administered the COVID vaccine.
Owing to a shortage of vaccine at the centres, qualified senior citizens were turned away.
10. Politicians break COVID rules at weddings and rallies and get away with it.
Others are forced to live in solitude because no one bothered to wear a mask or obey covid protocols.
Nothing would put things in perspective if this doesn’t.