A recent study by various American universities has shown that the ketogenic diet, which is becoming more common than the Atkins diet, will help you lose extra pounds more quickly than physical exercises. Although not everyone who wants to lose weight likes to practise sports, we decided to learn more about the ketogenic diet and how successful it is.
The Ketogenic Diet Description
Usually, by turning them into glucose our body receives energy from the carbs. But if there is a shortage of carbs, the body starts using fats to get the necessary energy level. Athletes and participants use the Ketogenic diet in marathons or triathlons which require particularly high endurance.
The ketogenic diet is helping to suppress the production of ghrelin, the hunger hormone, according to different studies.
The Ketogenic diet is different from other diets because a person loses weight due to fat loss if he follows its rules-which means the muscle mass remains the same.
Proteins, fats, and carbs
The main nutritional element while on the ketogenic diet is fat which accounts for 75% of your entire dietary intake. Proteins then follow at 20 per cent, and carbs should only take up 5 per cent of your total food intake.
The main condition of this diet is that both sugar and any flour products should be entirely excluded from the menu.
Wondering how to measure the number of proteins, fats, and carbs needed? Actually it is really simple. You’ll need 1 g of protein for each 2 lb of your weight. Let’s suppose you were weighing 200 lb. In this scenario, you’ll need a 90 g protein intake. You’ll also need 3.75 times more fats, which is about 12 oz, and four times fewer carbs, which would be around 23 g.
What is and isn’t allowed
As described above, this diet eliminates carbs almost entirely whereas foods with high concentrations of fat and protein should form the basis of nutrition.
- Green vegetables with a high concentration of fibre (which improves digestion) and tomatoes
- Full-fat dairy products excluding milk
- Oil and butter (ketogenic diet nutritionists specifically recommend coconut oil and butter)
- Any meat including pork, poultry, and seafood
- Any flour products
- Processed meat products (e.g. sausages) because they contain sugar
- Vegetables with a high concentration of sugar and carbs, such as corn and potatoes
- Fresh fruits and dried fruits (only some berries are allowed)
- Any alcohol and cereal that contain sugar
There are plenty of keto recipes out there so you can enjoy various delicious dishes and never get bored by the diet. You will be able to figure out how many proteins, fats, and carbs can be found in various foods thanks to this table.
The diet specifics
The key benefit of a ketogenic diet is that rapid weight loss occurs due to fat dissolving without any muscle mass being involved. You’ll never get hungry, either. This diet helps you to use the approved foods for a snack-and you won’t even have to give up fried food! But what are the fundamental tenets of this diet?
- The ketogenic diet doesn’t need you to consume multiple foods separately. You can eat meat with any of the approved foods, be they mushrooms or eggs.
- You won’t have to give up on salt which adds food taste and helps restore the electrolyte balance.
- This diet is unlikely to stay a diet forever because it is unbalanced.
- While there are no calorie quantity guidelines, so you shouldn’t get more than 5,000 calories a day, you’ll see no results.
The diet does not limit the meal consumption time to the normal 6 pm. You can eat at any time but in fair amounts of course.
It is carbs that are the hardest thing to get rid of. If you can’t picture your life without fruit, pasta or potatoes, the diet will hardly suit you.
You may develop a particular acetone smell from your mouth while on the diet which is a side effect of your body’s ketone development. Therefore it is very important not to drink less than eight glasses of water every day.
Celebrities who use the ketogenic diet
Thanks to Kim Kardashian who lost 60 lb after giving birth this diet has become famous.
The popular actress, Halle Berry, who has a perfect body, says this is due to the ketogenic diet she regularly practises. Adriana Lima and Megan Fox, who is considered to be among the world’s finest women, also adhere to non-carb diets.
Want to try this ketogenic diet? Use the comment section to let us know your thoughts.
Preview photo credit Kim Kardashian/Instagram, PacificCoastNews/eastnew